Prospect Hill monument break-in attempt

On August 3, 2011, in Latest News, by The Somerville Times

By Jim Clark

Somerville police officers were dispatched to the Prospect Hill Monument last week on reports that an attempted break-in was underway there.

An anonymous caller had said that a man in black shorts and no shirt was attempting to break into the tower using some sort of tool.

Upon arrival the responding officers cautiously climbed the stairs, looking for signs of the reported intruder. A male matching the description given was discovered kneeling over the lock to the door of the tower in what appeared to be an active attempt at picking it, police said.

When ordered to stop the man reportedly attempted to flee but was stopped by the police officers. According to police, the man was found to be in possession of a lock pick gun and three lock picks.

Alexander Ezorsky-Lie, 24, of Cambridge, was taken into custody and charged with felony nighttime breaking and entering and possession of burglarious instruments.

6 Responses to “Prospect Hill monument break-in attempt”

1. CLAIRE MYLON says:

WELL WHAT A SHAME!!!!!!!!! MY UNCLE FRED DINITTO RESTORED THAT TOWER MANY MANY YEARS AGO, A CRAFTMAN AT HIS TRADE, THE TOWER STANDS TODAY BECAUSE OF HIS EFFORTS ! AND SOME THEIF, CREAP COMES ALONG AND TRIES TO DO DAMAGE BECAUSE?????????? I HOPE HE IS PUNISHED FOR THIS SENSELESS CRIME !!!!!!!!!

2. Carmella says:

IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE WHY SOMEONE WOULD BREAK INTO THIS CASTLE. I FIND IT SEXUALLY ENTICING THAT SOMEONE WOULD DO SOMETHING SO BOLD AND DARING, AND WITH NO SHIRT ON, AND IN THE RAIN!?!

3. Ron Newman says:

Based on his LinkedIn profile and other web pages about him, I’d guess he was scouting the Tower as a possible location for a film. This is not the right way to go about it! Next time, I suggest giving a call to the city’s Historic Preservation Office.

Put the historic Tower under the proper jurisdiction, (National Park Service) before Lego sells the land off to some developer. That way we can put the $$$ from the CPA into high yield “No Touch – No Withdrawal” Funds that cannot be touched for 80 years. That will keep it out of the hands of the current questionable characters so it can be properly used in the future.

5. dj says:

Dear Claire, obviously he wasnt trying to damage the tower, just get in. Furthermore theres nothing in it. You make it out like he was out tipping gravestones…. silly. I’ve climbed into into the tower on many occasions in my youth; it’s just an empty cavern with a winding staircase to the top. Sorry I don’t see any criminal activity or intent here.

6. MarketMan says:

Ron: Maybe he tried and got no response? I haven’t interacted with the HPO, but I know that other city offices have not been too helpful with requests for facility access/information. Unanswered voicemails and emails. When a human was reached on the phone, still no help and clearly no desire to help. Finally the person complained very publicly to someone that mattered, and then things happened. All this to get access to a facility that is intended for public use! I can only imagine trying to get access to a facility for unintended use.