Somerville Firefighters respond to fire on Wheatland Street

On November 5, 2012, in Latest News, by The Somerville Times

Firefighters raise a ladder during a house fire at 84 Wheatland Street on November 3, 2012. – Photo by Ed Morrissey.

On Saturday, November 3 at 4:47 p.m., the Somerville Fire Department responded to a reported house fire at 84 Wheatland Street. Fire companies arrived to find flames coming out of a first floor bedroom window of an occupied, three unit dwelling.

Firefighters were able to confine the fire to the first floor apartment.  Smoke damage resulted in the two apartments on the second and third floor as well as water damage to the basement. The building is presently uninhabitable and the Red Cross was called to the scene to assist six occupants. Damage is estimated to be at least $50,000. The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental as the result of an electrical malfunction in the first floor front bedroom. Fire companies were clear of the scene by 6:30 p.m.

Firefighter Frank Sharpe of Ladder Three works off a ladder during a house fire at 84 Wheatland Street on November 3. – Photo by Ed Morrissey

A fire on November 3 caused heavy damage to a first floor apartment at 84 Wheatland Street. – Photo by Ed Morrissey


Leave a Reply

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.