Stop & Shop acquires Johnnie’s Foodmaster

On February 13, 2013, in Latest News, by The News Staff

johnnies_web

Stop and Shop acquires the Johnnie’s Foodmaster lease at 105 Alewife Brook Parkway in Somerville. – Photo by Bobbie Toner

According to a press release, the Stop & Shop Supermarket Company LLC announced that it has acquired the Johnnie’s Foodmaster lease at 105 Alewife Brook Parkway in Somerville. “Stop & Shop’s history began in the Somerville community and we’re pleased to have an opportunity to serve another part of the city,” said Joe Kelley, president, Stop & Shop New England Division. Stop & Shop is currently working on the renovation plans and the schedule for reopening has not yet been determined.

6 Responses to “Stop & Shop acquires Johnnie’s Foodmaster”

1. steve jerome says:

Too bad it is not going to be a Trader Joes.

Yes they also bought the one in Medford. Anything to stop Market Basket from bringing more competition. Though I heard the Alewife sight was not owned by Johnnies and Market Basket does like to own their properties so that they have no lease hassles.

No, we need a grocery store for many of the elderly who mostly only have access by walking. Some cannot afford other transportation to grocery stores. Same problem as Winter Hill. Not that I don’t want one here so I don’t have to drive far to get to one. We have a lot of elderly here that need places within walking distance.

j. connelly I am wondering if maybe they see how the Walmart Neighborhood markets are working out and that there can be a profit there in having a small store setup. Not much they can do with Market Basket as it looks like they only want big places now. Assembly is probably the only place big enough to accomodate one now I think.

5. j connelly says:

‘A. Moore’, I think you are correct on that.

6. Sharon says:

Yes, we need a grocery here at Alewife, I am one of those who depend on cabs of the Ride to do my major shopping. Both are very expensive. Another grocery at Alewife would be fantastic. I could get what I need instead of having to go far just for milk.