Alleged marijuana distribution ring stopped

On April 4, 2013, in Latest News, by The News Staff

By Jim Clark

Last Saturday, Somerville Police, along with the aid of the North Eastern Law Enforcement Council Special Weapons and Tactics team, conducted a secure and search operation at a home on Gilman St. that was suspected of housing a marijuana distribution operation.

Officers provided with search warrants entered the home and conducted their investigation with assistance provided by the Somerville Police K-9 unit.

Warrants were specifically issued for Cody Domings, 20, who reportedly resides with his family at the Gilman St. home.

A search of Cody Domings’ bedroom reportedly uncovered more than three ounces of marijuana, a significant amount of cash, a quantity of sandwich bags, and a digital scale.

Police said that their search also uncovered a quantity of marijuana and another digital scale in the bedroom of Cody Domings’ brother, Steven Domings, 22.

The police canine unit reportedly lead officers to an arcade game located in the home, signaling the presence of suspected narcotics contained therein. When the device was opened officers reportedly found an additional four ounces of marijuana hidden inside.

In total, detectives reported gathering $5,465 in cash throughout the house.

Another resident of the home, Joseph Baldassari, 23, had his room searched and police reportedly discovered grinder containing a white powdery residue, a digital scale, and a tablet believed to be Suboxone, a class B controlled substance.

Cody Domings and Steven Domings were subsequently placed under arrest, each charged with possession to distribute a class D drug and conspiracy to violate drug law.

Joseph Baldassari was placed under arrest and charged with possession of a class B drug.

24 Responses to “Alleged marijuana distribution ring stopped”

1. Brett says:

Can you believe how many public resources went into finding 3 ounces of marijuana??

2. Bostom says:

Is this an April Fool’s Day joke you got around to publishing late? Or did the police got there a coupla days early? Seven ounces of weed, five grand, a digital scale, AND A QUANTITY OF SANDWICH BAGS? Please, tell us now so we can be safe in our homes, what “quantity” of zip-lock bags is required to form a part of the indictment? Or do they indicate “intent”, perhaps to consume large amounts of snacks, equitably divided and stored?

Meanwhile, in other news released the day before the bust, proposed MA state regulations will allow certified users of medical marijuana to obtain up to ten ounces of the sticky-icky EVERY TWO MONTHS except in those limited circumstances when, with medical authorization, users CAN GET EVEN MORE!

But wait, it gets better! Low-income residents will have their purchases subsidized, thus making it unneccessary, as above, to keep in excess of $5,000 in the house. Or in the video game. Or whatever.

3. amen says:

yes, when my family’s getting ready for a picnic, we get out the scale to weigh the PB & J’s, make sure we have at least 5k on us before we start packing the ziploc bags. so they didn’t find much weed, but the signs are this is a distribution operation. I’m tired of weed being thought a harmless joke. kids are frying their brains with this stuff. I applaud anytime we take it off the streets.

4. Brian says:

Amen, you are a voice of reason. The distribution of marijuana is and should be illegal and I am thrilled that MY public resources were spent in putting a stop to it. Do we need to reiterate the dangers of marijuana? Probably not, because the enlightened ones think it’s all a joke, while they expect kudos for banning cigarettes and donuts.

5. amen says:

thank you Brian–a smart person once said not every weed smoker ends up using hard drugs, but every hard drug user started out with weed.

6. what says:

not everyone who eats chips is a killer, but every killer has eaten chips…
    just saying

7. amen says:

and not everyone with a computer is able to compose a witty response.

8. MarketMan says:

what: your response doesn’t parallel what amen said. the reason every killer has eaten chips is because nearly *everyone* has eaten chips. the thing is not everyone (or even close to everyone) has smoked weed. it may seem that way to you, because maybe you surround yourself with potheads.

“not everyone who eats chips is a killer, but every killer has eaten chips… just saying”

That’s funny.

“yes, when my family’s getting ready for a picnic, we get out the scale to weigh the PB & J’s, make sure we have at least 5k on us before we start packing the ziploc bags”

That’s so funny.

11. Bostom says:

What was meant to be funny if it weren’t so tragic is that we now have something called the “North Eastern Law Enforcement Council Special Weapons and Tactics team,” (say that three times fast) who “conducted a secure and search operation” on some kids with some weed – which is a gateway drug to the hard stuff the same way coffee is to tea – the day after the Commonwealth, who at the direction of its citizens voted by more than a two to one margin to legalize medical marijuana, sent out a set of proposed regulations that would allow one person, properly certified, to possess ten ounces of the substance and to have that ten ounce supply replaced every 60 days. I will further suggest to you that despite the thousands of dollars doubtless being spent on this new “Special Weapons and Tactics Team” – which, btw, includes nifty little stickers they had printed and which now appear over the back doors of Somerville’s monstrous-looking Robo-Cop vehicles – to address a non-problem, that of peaceful marijuana use, something I’ll go out on a very sturdy limb to predict will be legalzed completely within five years because we have so many more pressing problems to deal with here in the Commonwealth.

Until then, I find it hilarious were it not such an egregious example of prosecutorial overreach to list among the items seized were some plastic sandwich bags. When sandwich bags, which I have in my kitchen drawer (arrest me now!) and I presume you have in yours, become a means of proving something nefarious, we’ve lost a lot of our liberty at the hands of the “North Eastern Law Enforcement Council Special Weapons and Tactics team” over which we have no oversight, about which we know little (except that if they paid for the sticker I mentioned, they got ripped off by the graphic artist), and whose skills and expensive equipment could no doubt be put to better use solving some of the real crimes that damage life and property and which are happening around us every day.

I don’t proposd to revisit the arguments over pot. The people have spoken, loudly, on the question that was before them and I fully expect that when a broader question is put to the voters of Massachusetts, one that asks if all criminal and civil penalties should be removed from the production, possession, distribution, sale, and use of marijuana (which I see someone here prefers to call cannibis – which is fine by me) it will pass by a similar if not wider margin because the sky will not have fallen.

In the meantime, I can’t see the logic of criminalizing plastic bags nor of spending tax money on a non-problem that will soon be even less of one.

12. amen says:

Bostom–i love that you continue to rail about the plastic bags & ignore everything else. a grinder, white powder residue, suboxone, 5K, dig. scale. not a ‘simple’ pot head being hounded by the stupid cops. and this is all about criminalizing plastic bags. you’re a fraud

13. Bostom says:

Amen to that. If questioning authority makes me a fraud, I’m in better company than I ever thought (present company here in the comments section excepted, of course) and proud that you’d include me in their ranks. Jesus questioned authority. So did Paul Revere, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, John Hancock, the Adamses, both father and son, and everyone else who signed the Declaration of Independence. St. Thomas Aquinas, Rosa Parks, Martin Luther, Ghandi, Lech Walensa, Copernicus (another Pole, and he had to wait 500 years for an apology from the Vatican for saying the earth revolved around the sun instead of vice-versa) all questioned authority as did so many more.The list of dissenters is long, the list of their accomplishments is longer. We have them to thank for much of the progress man has made since we first rose from the muck.

Then there’s my childhood hero, Bobby Kennedy, who despite dozens of all-too-human flaws, sought to transcend them by his actions and in the way he lived his life, one that ended far too soon in pursuit of his vision of justice, especially for the poor. Allow me to quote his late brother Ted from RFK’s eulogy:

“Our future may lie beyond our vision, but it is not completely beyond our control. It is the shaping impulse of America that neither fate nor nature nor the irresistible tides of history, but the work of our own hands, matched to reason and principle, that will determine our destiny. There is pride in that—even arrogance—but there is also experience and truth. In any event, it is the only way we can live.”

The work of our own hands, matched to reason and principle, will determine our destiny.

Meaning, since you’ve missed my message twice now, that what we do or say (or here, write) informed by what we believe (in this instance, as reported in the story, that we’re becoming a bit of a police state when organizations we know little or nothing about and over which we have less control apply military tactics and parlance – “search and secure” was the term, I believe – along with overwhelming force) to bust some kids with what will soon be considered a relatively small amount of pot, one pill thought to be suboxone – and let’s let the esteemed Masschusetts State Drug Lab determine that, shall we? – as well as a grinder, five thousand dollars, and some freakin’ sandwich bags. I have a grinder, too – it grinds the beans for my morning coffee. Five grand on top of the dresser? Nah, that’s too rich for my blood – I haven’t got that much in my checking account. None of which, except the weed and possibly the pill, is illegal, but all of which are thrown in the (sorry for the pun) pot to build a bigger case. I think the term here is “overkill” – like the energy some Treasury Agents used to destroy stills and moonshine the day before Prohibition (another great social experiment that caused far more harm than the good it was enacted to solve) was repealed at midnight.

I respect your right to disagree with my opinion, although mine’s backed up by article after article in journals like those of the AMA which find pot far less harmful to one’s health than dozens of items (ciggies, booze, sugary soft drinks and fat-filled snacks, not to mention lots of prescription meds even when they’re used as intended: just watch the 1-800-LAWYER ads on TV) which are legally and plentifully available. I don’t characterize you as a “fraud” although I disagree with your conclusions, even though some of them don’t accurately reflect what I wrote or my (pretty obvious sarcastic) meaning when I wrote it, and I’m sorrier still you think that name-calling somehow adds to the value of your argument.

Finally, and here I invite you to follow their case with me as it slowly and expensively works its way through our court system, to see if any of the three men arrested spends so much as a day in jail or is fined a sum equal to even one-tenth of the alleged value of the pot in their possession. Until then, from preliminary hearing through all the continuances up until it’s plea-bargained without a trial, you and I will be footing the bill for thousands of dollars of police overtime while they stand around doing nothing while the court dates drag on; dollars, btw, that are ultimately added to the amounts used to calculate state pensions, meaning we’ll be paying for them well-nigh forever. If you do join me in watching this expensive and pointless charade until its ultimate conclusion, I hope you’ll then have a better use for the word “fraud” as it will have played out before your eyes.

14. amen says:

not worth continuing this discussion, you’re refusing to stick to my main point, and dressing it up with a lengthy speech about Jesus Christ just a distraction. over and out

15. Wordsy says:

Yes, all the “lengthy speech” is rather inconvenient for you and your pals, isn’t it? The main point is this: your corrupt and discredited drug war is soon to be history, as all clear thinking, honest people will acknowledge. Over and out indeed.

16. Bob says:

And when that happens, Wordsy, we will have far fewer ‘clear thinkng’ people. I sincerely hope it is not someone in your family.

17. Wordsy says:

Thank you, officer. Your “sincerity” is duly noted.

18. Bob says:

Worsdy, how condescending. Are you trying to imply that I am a police officer? If so, that could not be further from the truth. I am, however, someone who has seen what substance abuse, and yes that does include marijuana, does to a person, a family, a neighborhood, and society. Educate yourself.

19. Wordsy says:

Condescending? Check – and educate – yourself, officer. Everything you claim has been disproved time and again. Only those with a vested interest in continuing the phoney war against cannabis, or the hopelessly misinformed, cling to your discredited beliefs. As I said before, smart people know the facts. You and your…associates…are not expected to change your tune, or tactics.

20. Bostom says:

Amen says: not worth continuing this discussion, you’re refusing to stick to my main point

That’s the problem, Amen. Yours isn’t the only point at issue, nor even the one I’ve concentrated on. And, see, in an “exchange” of ideas, you don’t get to decide that “your main point” is the only topic discussed unless you’re talking to yourself. Which you might want to consider – that way no one will ever disagree with you. You won’t learn anything, but you’ll always win the argument,

You’re the one making speeches.What I’m doing, and failing miserably at with you, is to have a discussion. But since there’s only one viewpoint that matters – yours – that’s an impossibility

So, here anyway, I’m in complete agreement with you: it’s not worth continuing.

21. Bob says:

Please listen to what I am saying. I have no connection whatsoever to law enforcement. I am a parent, and a friend, who has seen abuse of marijuana and other drugs firsthand. If you chose to educate yourself, there are many support groups you could visit and listen to the stories of the families. I don’t think you would last 5 minutes. Don’t assume, because, well you know the rest.

22. what says:

smoked for 15 years haven’t seen the gateway yet.

23. Josh says:

To ‘what’, all I can say is what? Thanks for the insight into your personal experience. You have probably been drinking for just as long and are not an alcoholic. Count your lucky stars. Not everyone who smokes pot moves on to heroin or oxys, but all of those who move on to heroin or oxys smoked pot first. Education is key here, and the people who think pot is cool are ignoring the facts.

24. i agree with Josh, if you are thinking of your future there is no cool thing if it is harmful to your health