By Mike Stoller
The Somerville High girls track team finished a solid season at the Division 1 State Meet held at Andover High last week.
“Our young team competed well,” Highlanders head coach Charlie O’Rourke said. “We did not have any girls score or qualify for the state finals, but this team has made a lot of progress and they are all champions in my mind.”
Highlights for Somerville included:
• Melissa Baptista running the 400 meters in 63.89 seconds, and leaping a combined 32 feet, 9 inches in the triple jump.
• Alison Kaba throwing the shot put 32 feet, 1 inch, and the discus 77 feet, six inches.
• Saragrace Magre running the 400 meters in 69.92 seconds.
• Kaba, Baptista, Magre, and Gelynne Berger running a 52.21 second time in the 4 x 100 meter relay, “their fastest time of the year,” O’Rourke praised.
Meanwhile, in the recent Greater Boston League meet, the host Highlanders also shined with a terrific outing, finishing in second place out of five teams with 133 points, one slot above GBL regular season champion Cambridge, which scored 117 points, at Dilboy Stadium. Only Malden outscored Somerville with a tally of 169 points. Everett and Medford also competed, finishing with 44 and 25 points, respectively.
“Our girls really responded to the challenge,” O’Rourke said. “Despite not having one of our captains, Gelynne Berger, who was out with an injury, we performed great to finish second ahead of the regular season champion, Cambridge.
“A meet like this requires a total team effort and we received that from our squad,” O’Rourke said. This team showed its character when it counted. We have come a long way since the beginning of the year. I couldn’t be happier with their performance.”
The sensational day for Somerville included the following highlights:
• 100m- Melissa Sanon -4th-14.04
• 200m- Saragrace Magre-2nd-28.46. Valencia Augustin-5th-30.5
• 400m- Melissa Baptista-1st-63.03, Kaylee Lima-4th-66.9
• Mile-Delmi Hernandez-1st-6:00, Melina Garro-Duplisea-3rd-6:05
• Two-mile-Miranda rego-2nd-13:59, Maureen McNabb-3rd-14:30.
• 400m Hurdles- Saragrace Magre-1st-71.31, Meghan Lynch-3rd-76.52
• Shot Put-Alison Kaba-3rd-32’00.25, Tamika Michel-5th-23’4”
• Discus-Alison Kaba-2nd-76’3”, Leslie Duarte-63’3”,Theodora Babilye-6th-61’08
• Javelin-Bianca DeBarros-5th-67’11”, Kaylee Lima-6th-64’8”
• Long Jump-Valencia Augustin-5th-13’5”, Tianna Sebastian-6th-13’4”
• High Jump-Melissa Sanon-2nd-4’6”, Melissa Baptista-3rd-4’4”
• Triple Jump-Melissa Baptista-2nd-33’4”
• 4×100 relay-4th-55.6-Valencia Augustin, Leighann Nyguyen, Kiarra Correia,Melissa Sanon
• 4×400-2nd-4:43-Melina Garro-Duplisea, Leighann Ngyuyen, Kaylee Lima, Delmi Hernandez.
• 4×800-3rd-11:58-Laxmi Spearing, Miranda Rego, Maureen McNabb, Anji Schrestra.