Photos: Calvin Street fire in Somerville

On July 25, 2013, in Latest News, by The News Staff

thesomervillenews's Calvin Fire 3 album on Photobucket

– Photos courtesy of  Boston Herald, Mark Garfinkel

12 Responses to “Photos: Calvin Street fire in Somerville”

1. Steve Keenan says:

These firefighters did more for the citizens at this massive fire than any politician ever did. They didn’t make speeches or pontificate; they put it all on the line and did their jobs as they always do.

Now you tell me-who is more importatnt to you? These pictures say it all!
    Support your public safety guardian angels like the Fire, Police, and EMS departments.

2. amen says:

Somerville is truly blessed with these folks. I can’t imagine the work they do. I left for work with them on my mind and praying all would be safe. And I actually heard someone gripe about the resulting traffic jam on Somerville Ave. Seriously?

3. Jo says:

Reports now say the fire was arson. We have had a huge spike in fires this summer, how many of the others could be arson? I hope the city gets on this immediately and makes this a priority instead of closing busy streets to inconvenience residents.

4. ritepride says:

Somerville’s old neighborhoods with crammed residential buidings so close together. The close proximity of the buildings to each other increases the chances of the fire spreading.

It is wrong for the Zoning Board to allow new construction to continue like this today only to address the greed of the developers profit margins.

There are many houses in this city just begging for a fire to start due to just common sense things. So many even to this day do not have working smoke detectors even. I see so many hanging from the ceiling open and with the battery gone if there is even one there. Plus electrical overload, too large a bulb in overhead enclosed lights. Never mind half the city has a grill on their porch. Gas stored in cellars, and on and on. Makes one wonder why we have so few fires here.

6. Let's Be Real says:

I think the SFD should drive around the city and check all of the grills on balconies, etc., There is a new development at the Cedar Street bridge, and just from the sidewalk you can clearly see one grill on a 2nd floor balcony, as well as 2 on the ground, flush against the house. This is happening all over the city, clearly visible to anyone who’s looking.

Let’s Be Real, if I am not mistaken they do not do this for some reason but I believe they have to go and chack it out if there is a complaint about it. I could be wrong but that is how I seem to remember it when they had the fire on Willow Ave.

8. ritepride says:

At times some people lack common sense. If they are in violation of the codes the insurance company may deny the claim. Again this city is so quick to throw out ordinances without having the proper procedures in place to enforce them it makes them useless unless city hall does selective enforcement on a few which could come back and bite them.

9. Somerbreeze says:

The dogenheads across the street from me are always firing up a
    grill on their condo balcony…but they are the consecrated New Arrivals
    and therefore impervious to the laws of Nature….

10. Judy says:

Yes, it is often new arrivals who don’t know any better, but it is really common sense. But I too have seen many on new, pricey, condo units. These people should know better.

11. amen says:

new arrivals don’t know that lighting a fire on an enclosed porch is dangerous? a little insulting from you, don’t you think?
    I was threatened with a $50. ticket for overgrown lawn in early May, and people can have grills on porches/decks?

12. sue says:

Not every derogatory comment is insulting, it comes from experience. We had a fire in the past by an immigrant using a grill inside a 3rd floor apartment.