Somerville fires started by candles

On October 10, 2012, in Latest News, by The News Staff

The Somerville Fire Department respond to a fire at 130 Sycamore Street. – Photo by Ryan Epps.

On October 8, at 2:26 a.m., the Somerville Fire Department responded to a fire at 130 Sycamore Street.

Arriving fire companies found heavy fire conditions on the third floor of a three story, multi-unit residence located on the corner of Forster Street.

While extensive fire damage was confined to the third floor, heavy smoke and water damage was suffered by the other apartments below. Firefighters had to ventilate the roof.

One occupant of the third floor was transported to the hospital for smoke inhalation.

Damage is estimated at approximately $300,000.

Lt. Girard Gover working in a third floor window at Sycamore Street fire. – Photo by Ryan Epps.

An investigation by the Somerville Fire Department’s Fire Investigation Unit (FIU) has determined the cause to have been a candle. This is the third fire in the past several weeks in Somerville resulting from a candle.

Somerville firefighters on Tuesday morning, October 9 at 534 a.m., responded to a fire inside Apt. #505 at the Properzi Manor, a high-rise apartment building located at 13 Warren Avenue.

Arriving firefighters found that the building’s sprinkler system had activated and extinguished a fire in a 5th floor bathroom.  A candle left burning on the bathroom sink had ignited a shower curtain.

Somerville residents are strongly urged to use candles safely. Never leave candles burning unattended, always extinguish candles after use and use candles with a one foot “circle of safety” free of anything around them that can burn.

– Deputy Fire Chief Charles Breen

 

Leave a Reply

*