By George P. Hassett
A 49-year-old Somerville father was knocked unconscious by a street cleaning sign at the scene of a two alarm fire last night.
Baljit Singh, of 38 Fisk Ave., was transported to Massachusetts General Hospital after a water hose split in half and broke a street sign, a chain link fence and a street cleaning sign at the scene of the fire at 12 Fisk Ave at 11:29 p.m.
City Hall spokesman Michael Meehan said the head of the fire hose snapped off. Sing, a father of two, suffered head trauma. “Our hope is that it turns out to be nothing more than a concussion,” Meehan said.
The fire caused $300,000 in damage to the home and displaced three residents, said Fire Chief Kevin Kelleher. A family cat died in the fire, he said.
Kelleher said fire investigators believe it may have started in electrical work in the home and was accidental.